Friday, January 30, 2009

This time difference takes some adjusting to...

Sunday, January 25: I arrived in Tel-Aviv a day before the program started, and was not sure if anyone would be available to meet me at the airport. Turns out, a few people were there from the program's office, and I was able to head straight to Ramla.

The first evening here was a blur of confusion and sleepiness. I unpacked everything into a small room in a very dirty apartment, which two other girls would also be moving into shortly. There are also going to be two boys in the other bedroom in our apartment.

The other program participants who arrived early have been here for a week. They are bored and cranky and very dispirited about Ramla and the program in general, but also totally aware that once our volunteering actually starts there will be less boredom at the very least.

I called all sorts of people back home (New Orleans and Georgia) to let them know I arrived safely. Despite the fact that it is around 7 PM in Ramla, it is still quite early in the US, and I get most of my friends' voicemails.

No comments:

Post a Comment