Thursday, March 5, 2009

Israeli Bathrooms

So yet again, it's been awhile since I've posted anything. I've been sick off and on for the last three weeks. Blame it on the crazy weather. But I have been thinking of things to post. Here are a few bits on Israeli bathrooms.

Israeli toilets are interesting for two big reasons:
1. Two types of flush--little and big. This is to conserve water. On the one hand, this is a very cool kind of engineering. You only flush as much as you need. On the other hand, the small flush is quite substantial—I’ve never had to use the large flush. So unless Israelis have remarkable digestive systems, they really could ratchet down the strength of the flushes and still be effective.
2. Roughly ½ of the non-tourist public toilets I’ve been in lack toilet seats completely. This is true of the gan (kindergarten) I work at, and the ulpan I attend. I think at the gan this might be just to prevent lots of spillage from inaccurate aim. What it means is that from a very young age Israelis have to learn to squat at the toilet. There is no way around this. On the plus side, this definitely helps for strong quads and no fear of falling in the toilet and breaking your tailbone if someone leaves the toilet seat up.

I promise I’ll post more soon. I have plenty of interesting stories, just not a ton of energy. Thanks for being patient!

1 comment: