Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Shopping in Fiji

Shopping in Fiji was wonderful, since the Fijian dollar was worth about 50 cents in US currency.  I mostly bought salwar kameez (tunics that usually come with pants and scarves) from the Indian sections of the department stores, but I also stopped by the fabric shop to buy some authentic bula fabric to wear as a sulu (like a sarong).

This is me in the midst of the fabric store.  Corinne and I decided to go during lunch one day, and had a fabulous time.  I bought a ridiculous amount of fabric, some for clothing, some for decoration, and some because it was so incredible I couldn't leave it behind.

I love how different the patterns look from a distance compared to up close.

Lots of offices had official bula shirts (shirts made out of bula fabric) or entire uniforms that are all made out of an identical bright tropical print.  It makes for fairly show stopping office luncheons.

The store had some gorgeous dresses pinned on mannequins--beautiful draping and shapes.  I kept having to remind myself that back in the US walking down the street in a matching bula print purple skirt and top would draw me way more attention than I might want.

Then there was Tappoo, Farzeen's favorite store for buying Indian clothes.  I went three times, first buying presents for my mother, than for me, than a few more inexpensive pieces on my last day... clearly, I am in love with the clothing here.
These pieces cost quite a bit of money, but I managed to find a few that weren't too exorbitant.

If this one hadn't been too large I would have bought it.  Farzeen told me that if I wore these outfits Indian men would follow me down the street--I'm not sure that's the kind of thing I want, but it's a funny image.

My muscular calves do not fit in some of the very stylish narrow pants that come with the kameez, so the shop assistant tried to find me an alternate pair.  These are some of the different kameez I tried on that day.

This top is a cousin to the one that I bought. Isn't the pattern gorgeous?

I don't quite have the gumption to wear a sari, but man are they stunning!

No comments:

Post a Comment