Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Yasawas

The Yasawa and Mananuca Islands are where most of the tourists go in Fiji.  They're a four hour bus ride + 1/2 to 4.5 hour boat ride away from Suva.  With white sand, exceptionally turquoise water, and many resorts, they're exactly what you think of when you imagine a summer in Fiji.  For my last weekend, I took off an extra day and spent two nights on Nacula Island at The Blue Lagoon Resort.  It's currently the highest rated resort in Fiji on Trip Advisor, with good reason--the food is incredible, even the dorms are immaculate, and they have some of the best beach I've seen. I loved my weekend there--it was perfectly relaxing, if I hadn't been thinking about all of the extra work I needed to do when I returned for my shortened last week.

Here are a few photos from the boat ride out.  Nacula Island is one of the last stops, so I napped for much of the ride.  The Yasawa Flyer stops every thirty minutes or so in deep water, and the resort boats come out to meet it, dropping off guests who have checked out, and picking up guests who have checked in.  It's a neat system.

CoIntern had already been to Blue Lagoon, and told me that it was everything you imagine when you think of Fiji.  He said the water was turquoise and clear, but I really had no idea until the boat stopped just how turquoise it was:
Look at that!

This is the beach in front of the resort at low tide.  At high tide, the water comes up close to the chairs.  The beach is fairly sloped right before the tide line, so during high tide there is a large, chest-high pool of crystal clear, warm water to swim in.  It's pretty amazing.  And the perfect anecdote to too much laying in the sun.

As the water runs through the sand towards the ocean it makes a very pretty pattern.

This village dog adopted the resort.  I think his name was Charlie, and he loves playing on the coral at low tide.  It's super cute.  He also likes to play with crabs, jumping and leaping while trying to flip them over.

This is how I spent most of my days at the resort--the sun was very hot, but the hammock was perfect!  I did go kayaking a bit, but the current was incredibly strong, so it wasn't as fun as it could have been.

Charlie liked to come hang out with us by the hammocks.

CoIntern however, liked to do work on his last day in paradise.  Why?!  Because he is very, very dedicated.

Farewell Fiji photoshoot.

CoIntern left one day before me, so I had an extra day to lay about.

The resort next to us had a small boat called Dr. Phil Forever.  I hate Dr. Phil, and I am very sad that he has made it to Fiji.

At Port Denarau near Nadi, after leaving the Yasawas.  Why is there an Ugg story in Fiji?  This makes no sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment